URBRA is an autonomous body established by virtue of section 2 of the Uganda retirement Benefits Regulatory Authority Act 2011, Act No. 15 of 2011. It is responsible for regulating the establishment, management and operations of retirement benefits schemes in Uganda in both the private and public sectors.
Job Title: Manager Finance
Reports to: Director Finance and Administration
Salary Scale: URBRA 3
Special working conditions: None
2. Overall Purpose
Responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating financial plans and strategies aimed at efficient and effective receipt and disbursement of funds in order to ensure that all financial transactions are inline with approved financial policies and procedures. In addition, responsible for supervising banking and treasury operations, preparation of financial statements and other reports to summarize current and projected financial position in order to ensure availability of funds to implement planned activities. Other duties include verification of expenditure; reconciliation of assets register with the general ledger.
3. Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide professional leadership in developing, implementing and evaluating financial plans and strategies aimed at efficient and effective receipt and disbursement of funds in order to ensure that all financial transactions are in line with approved financial policies and procedures.
- Develop and install effective financial management systems and procedures aimed at improving financial reporting and accounting in accordance with government financial policies and donor procedures
- Implement stringent expenditure control procedures by ensuring that proper authorization for payments is strictly followed, any expenditure incurred are supported by payment vouchers and other valid accounting documents as well as ensuring that budgetary allocations are not exceeded without justifiable cause.
- Analyze financial information detailing assets, liabilities and capital and preparing financial statements and other reports to summarize current and projected financial position in order to ensure availability of funds to implement planned activities.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of financial information systems to cover the general ledger, asset management as well as revenue collection system
- Develop and implement an effective financial management system and procedures aimed at improving banking and cash collection of funds
- Supervise preparation of payment vouchers and cash book records as well as financial statements and entries to monthly accounts in accordance with accounting regulations.
- Oversee reconciliation of cash book and bank transactions, reconciliation of statutory levy collection records as well as reconciliation of the assets register with the general ledger
- Oversee the proper maintenance, storage and security of financial and accounting documents
- Oversee preparation of tax returns to ensure compliance with periodic tax payments, information reporting and other statutory requirements
- Develop funding proposals to access grant funding opportunities from governmental agencies, development partners and private foundations in order to implement programmes that will supplement budget allocation
4. Generic Tasks
- Provide technical leadership in multidisciplinary teams involved in financial planning and budgeting
- Participate in organizational performance reviews and business process improvement programmes
- Participate in the assessment of staff performance against set targets and implement development action pans aimed at building the capacity of individuals and teams
d) Participate in the design and implementation of training programmes aimed at equipping staff with appropriate job competences
- Conduct training needs analysis to develop and implement on-the-job training programmes aimed at equipping staff and users with effective computer application skills to navigate and undertake routine backup of files, including care and maintenance of computer systems.
- Develop strategies for strengthening collaborative partnerships and computer security infrastructure and government agencies to ensure implementation of programmes that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Represent the Authority at local, regional and international meetings, conference and other forums
- Prepare concept papers, board papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements of the finance function against planned targets and providing justification for performance variances
5. Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting
- Professional qualification such as CPA, ACCA
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience in Accounting and Finance, five (5) of which should have been at either Principal Accountant in a Government Institution or Senior Accountant in a reputable private institution or Non-Governmental Organization (NGO).
6. Key Competencies
- Considerable knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles and practices; financial and strategic planning, banking, accounting and financial management including planning, forecasting, budgeting and taxation
- Considerable knowledge of principles, methods and practices of governmental accounting and budgeting
- Ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers and Board reports
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills including effective communication, influencing & interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook Express including financial and statistical packages
- Ability to maintain professional status, high integrity and keep abreast of evolving trends in planning and budgeting through continuous professional development
7. Mode of Application
Send applications accompanied by a comprehensive CV with 3 referees, certified copies of transcripts and certificates as well as other relevant academic credentials addressed to;
The Director General
Att: Head Projects and Consultancy Department
Uganda Management Institute
Plot No. 44/52 Jinja Road, Kampala
P.O. Box 20131 Kampala, Uganda