- About UMI
- Student's Info
|UMI Home > Student Information > Alumni|
Uganda management Institute (UMI) is the national centre for training. Research and consultancy in the field of Management and Administration. Officially opened on 7th October 1969 as the institute Public Administration (IPA), the institute was mandated to conduct intensive in-service training to quickly develop a cadre of Africans to assume higher responsibilities in the public service. In the early 1970's, arrangement it offered Postgraduate Diplomas in Public Administration as well as Business Management. Whereas the institute of Public Administration opened from inception as a department of the Ministry of Public Service, this changed with the enactment of the Uganda Management Institute Statue of 1992, under which it acquired its present name and changed its status to a semi autonomous body corporate. The statute was repealed when UMI was brought under the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001.
The institute has now attained the status of other Degree Awarding Institutions under the Universities and other Tertiary Institutions (Amendment) Act 2006
The mandate of the institute as defined in the act and carried over from the statute is to promote sustainable development by developing management capacity in support of the Country's development efforts especially in the areas of public service reform, decentralization, macro-economic management, poverty eradication and social services provision.
The institute is specifically responsible for:
In fulfillment of its mandate the institute has trained imparted professional skills to several people worldwide. All these people owe recognition of this institution as a key contributor to their professional successes.
The Uganda management institute – UMI Alumni Association was therefore formed in 2002 with an intention of bringing together all the old students / participants of Uganda Management Institute in order to maintain their identity and to harness their efforts in fostering the interests of the institute.
A well organized association with all its members having the zeal to contribute to the fulfillment of the institute vision.
To mobilize all the Alumni to contribute to the enhancement of the intellectual and material well-being of Uganda Management Institute.
To promote strong, collaboration between the Alumni and Uganda Management Institute establishment in developing sustainable management capacity in World Wide Communities.
a) To foster and encourage the spirit of good relationship between the old and current students / participants and the establishment of the institute.
b) To serve as a functional link between all Alumni Worldwide and participate in matters affecting the institute.
c) To promote a spirit of institutional ownership loyalty and life long commitment to the institute.
d) To embark and engage in any other activities
e) To interact and share experience and expertise between Alumni to also enable members make new contacts and to keep in touch with the institute
f) To promote the institute's social focus and network spirit.
g) To mobilize financial and physical support alumni for the growth of the institute.
The Graduates of the institute are now some of the prominent Administrators and professionals not only in Uganda but Worldwide. The expertise and influence they have acquired over time, if well tapped, can create a great impact in fostering the programme of the institute, especially now that it is going through a lot of transformation.
The methodology to be used to fulfill the objectives outlined in 1.5. above will be as follows:
• Mobilizing and registering all the Alumni. This will be done through the media, various for a at the institute, communications to institutions where some of the Alumni are employed and positive information to the institute website, plus making physical visits to some alumni.
• Linking the Alumni to the institute and vice-versa and promoting a spirit of institutional ownership.
• This will be done through establishing an Alumni office at the institute and maintaining a conta person in this office, publishing and distributing regular Newsletters to all the members, keeping members informed about the key events and development at the institute.
• To interlink and share experiences and expertise between the Alumni and to promote the institute social focus and network spirit. This will be done through organizing symposia / seminars, get together functions and production and distribution of magazines.
• To mobilize financial and physical support for the growth of the institute. This will be done through donations and fundraisings. The strategy will be to identify a project / projects where the Alumni could participate such that the costs are established and the association mobilizes its members to contribute.
4.0 Proposed Deliverables
These are the expected deliverables by the time of the general meeting.
a) An interim register of the alumni.
b) A draft constitution – the document which will bind the members of the Alumni association and regulate their actions.
c) An alumni office with a contact person and key information about the institute accessible to all Alumni.
d) Circulating information about the association and popularizing it using various channels: physical contacts, print media, radio and TV, letters employing authorities.
e) Visiting prominent alumni.
f) Mobilizing all members to attend the general meeting.