- PhD PROGRAMME
This is to invite applications for a three-year Doctor of Philosophy -PhD in Management and Administration (Coursework and Dissertation) programme to be offered in the 2019/2020 academic year. Admitted candidates will be expected to start by August 2019.
- PhD PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The duration of the PhD will be three years. The program consists of an extensive coursework component, followed by doctoral seminars, examinations for the taught parts, compulsory proposal defence before fieldwork and a well-written and defended dissertation with articles worthy publication in an internationally referred journal. In addition, the course assignments are designed in such a way to involve participants in the enterprise of original thinking partially achieved through writing of scholarly papers worth publishing in internationally recognized refereed journals. This will be a core mode of assessment in all courses instead of relying on tests which encourage cram work as opposed to original thinking that gives permanent knowledge. The taught modules and seminars will help the participants acquire the requisite skills and theoretical knowledge, and develop the intellectual independence necessary to be an effective teacher/researcher and management practitioner. The participants will complete the degree requirements in three (3) years as a minimum and seven (7) years as a maximum.
The first five modules are compulsory to all admitted students. These give the foundations of management and administration and research methodology. Thereafter, students can specialise in any of the six major concentrations that include: Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Procurement, Institutional Management and Leadership, Educational Management and Administration, as well as Higher Education Management and administration. This fourth intake, four specialisations will run, i.e. Public Administration, Institutional Management and Leadership, Higher Education Management and administration, and Educational Management And Administration.
Part Two: Dissertation
To complete a PhD, each participant must present results from their research to the faculty in a formal dissertation. The students will write their dissertations in accordance with NCHE minimum requirements and Uganda Management Institute’s policies for Doctoral studies.
- TARGET GROUP
This is an international program designed for highly qualified and motivated applicants who wish to acquire the research and analytical skills in management and administrative disciplines at doctoral level. It is designed for those individuals already working or those seeking jobs in academia as well as those who wish to acquire the skills of professional academic research to work in knowledge-intensive firms, multinational companies, government agencies, financial institutions, consulting firms as well as international agencies. Specifically, the Program is intended for:
- University lecturers who would like to pursue a PhD degree in Administration and
- Lecturers of administrative and management sciences in other tertiary
- Research fellows in management sciences; and
- Top level managers of the public and private sectors who are desirous of
acquiring a PhD in management and administration.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission to a PhD Program at UMI will require participants with a Master's degree or equivalent from a recognised university in a related field, with sufficiently high grades and proven research ability.
In addition to the Institute’s normal admission requirements, this particular programme will involve a thorough review of each applicant. The admission will also involve a pre-entry examination through a written Graduate Admission test for ALL applicants for the PhD Programme. The Applications should include the following documents in their applications:
- Two passport size Photographs
- Clear copy of passport, national ID and or any other valid identification
- English language skill certificates or demonstration that one has had all prior education in English
- Officially certified copies of academic transcripts (Undergraduate, Graduate, and Postgraduate). Certified English translation of transcripts, if printed in another language other than English should be provided. A certificate of assessment from NCHE for those whose qualifications are in languages other than English or institutions not easily recognisable will be essential.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae fully signed
- A statement of purpose that also specifies the preferred area of specialisation chosen from either Public Administration, Institutional Management and Leadership, Higher Education Management and administration, or Educational Management And Administration. (maximum 1000 words)
- Two letters of reference (one preferably academic) printed on letter head and fully signed
- PRE-ENTRY EXAMINATION
Those who fulfil the above requirements will undergo a pre-admission examination for final admission to be administered on 17 April 2019 at 9.00 a.m.
- MODE OF STUDY
Weekend - Saturday and Sunday (8.30 am-4.30pm)
- MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMMES
- MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT STUDIES (MMS) – Kampala, MBARARA AND GULU: AUGUST 2019.
The MMS is Research based, building on the coursework at the Postgraduate Diploma level obtained at UMI. Applicants must have passed the Postgraduate Diploma with at least a Second class.
FOR TAUGHT AND CONTINUED RESEARCH BASED MASTERS PROGRAMMES – KAMPALA (2, 3, 4, 5 & 6): (WEEKEND) – AUGUST 2019
- MASTERS IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (MPA)
- MASTERS IN INSTITUTIONAL MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP (MIML)
- MASTERS IN HIGHER EDUCATION MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION (MHEMA)
- MASTERS IN PUBLIC PROCUREMENT MANAGEMENT (MPPM)
- MASTERS IN EDUCATION ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT (MHEAD)
Admission requirements FOR DIRECT MASTERS: Applicants shall be holders of a Bachelor’s degree from an Institution of higher learning recognized by NCHE or Professional Chartered qualification, and working experience of at least one year.
- MASTERS IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA)- KAMPALA ONLY (WEEKEND & EVENING) – AUGUST 2019
(i) An honours Bachelor’s Degree from an Institution of higher learning recognized by NCHE
(ii) A professional qualification deemed equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized professional body.
(iii) Working experience of one year
- Passing of a GMAT is mandatory.
GMAT will be administered on 12th May 2019 at 4.00 p.m. at UMI Main Campus for ONLY shortlisted applicants.
*Uganda Management Institute reserves the right of admission.
Application forms and more information about the programmes may be obtained from the address given below. Application forms are available at UShs. 40,000= per set. The completed application forms together with Copies of academic certificates and transcripts must be submitted by 30/3/2019.
The Institute Registrar
Uganda Management Institute
Plot 44-52 Jinja Road
P.O. Box 20131, Kampala
FOR UMI-MBARARA BRANCH
The Branch Administrator
Mbarara District Headquarters, Kamukuzi
Tel 0200 990950
FOR UMI-GULU BRANCH
The Branch Administrator
Plot 2-4, Goma Road,
Tel 0200 990970
FOR UMI-MBALE BRANCH
The Branch Administrator,
UMI-Mbale Centre, Maluku Primary School, Maluku Road, Tel 0200 990960