|The Uganda Management Institute (UMI) was established in March 1992. Its aim is to strengthen the management and institutional capacity of the public, private and non-governmental sectors in Uganda and beyond by offering a blend of short and long courses for middle, senior, and executive level managers; facilitating conferences, seminars and workshops; and providing research, consultancy and distance learning services. UMI is the national centre for training, research and consultancy in the field of management and administration. It has an established vision to be a world class management development institute and a stated mission to excel in developing management capacity.
Within the context of the strategic plan, the Institute is structured into three specialized but complementary schools, a department for higher degrees and three regional centre namely:
- School of Civil Service, Public Administration and Governance,
- School of Business, Productivity and Competitiveness,
- School for Distance Learning and Information Technology,
- Higher Degrees Department,
- Mbarara, Gulu and Mbale Centres
UMI has the following five objectives:-
In order to achieve these four objectives, UMI has established nine core organisational values. For consistency, these are set out below:
- To enhance the knowledge, skills, competencies and attitudes of public, private and NGO sector managers
- To generate and disseminate cutting edge knowledge on administrative, managerial and leadership issues.
- To transform UMI into an effective and efficient management development institute
- To ensure that the Institute is competitive and sustainable.
- Integrity, transparency and accountability underpin the approach of all Institute faculty, management and support staff to their duties and responsibilities. All institute personnel are expected to be truthful, reliable, and accountable for their actions.
- Equity and fairness are important principles that underlie UMIís human resource management and development objectives, policies and programmes. UMI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in implementing a responsive performance-based reward system to attract and retain highly competent and motivated personnel.
- Empathy entails getting concerned with and contributing to the resolution of problems of individual internal and external customers that may have either a direct or an indirect bearing on the smooth operation of the Institute.
- Customer focus refers to UMIís conviction that the customer/client constitutes the primary reason for the Instituteís existence. UMIís approach to programme design and delivery, therefore, seeks first to respond to and satisfy identified needs of the different market segments that are served by the Institute. UMI will be guided by the principle of providing value-for-money to all its customers.
- Teamwork is key to the successful achievement of MIís endeavors, right from the sharing of a common vision, mission and objectives, to the mutual support that individuals are expected to extend to one another to ensure cost effective implementation of planned activities.
- Professionalism demands, inter alia, a thorough knowledge of oneís field of endeavor as well as demonstration of skill, high ethical standards, and respect for UMIís clients and other stakeholders.
- Flexibility requires the Institute to design programmes that meet the expectations of the customers by taking into account constraints such as professional commitments, family commitments and distance.
- Innovativeness is the key to continuous improvement. The Institute shall encourage staff to come up with new ideas as long as they help to fulfill the Instituteís mandate. The existing decentralized framework and the planning system, which is cascaded from the strategic level through the tactical level to the operational level, provides the necessary incentives for innovation.
- Sustainability calls for ensuring that UMI attains sufficiently high levels of surplus ability to meet the operational and development needs of the Institute over the years. Surplus ability will, however, be pursued while having regard to the Instituteís social responsibilities, as a responsible corporate citizen